Monday, October 7, 2013

Light and Exposure

1. Hard Lighting
This is an example of hard lighting. When you look at this picture, your attention should be immediately drawn to the water. 

2. Soft Lighting
Okay, so maybe this isn't even an example of soft lighting, but it looked like it when I took the picture. My intended subject was that bird on the grass, but you can hardly see it , so it looks like the mountain is the subject. There also appeared to be more shade when I took this.

3. Mid-day Lighting
This is a picture of a little cabin on the ranch I live on, at mid-day. There is very little shade because it is mid-day.

4. Dawn/Dusk Lighting
This is the same cabin at dusk. Well, close to dusk at least. The sun was setting when I took this picture, which is why there's so much shade.

5. Back Lighting
In this picture, the sun is shining behind the trees, although it looks like the sun is burning a hole through them. If I had been a little closer, it probably would have just looked like the sun shining behind the trees.

6. Front Lighting

So, by the time I got around to taking these last few pictures, it was night-time, which means, obviously, that there is no light. So I found a flash light, a Hot Wheels car, and a Lego road, and the result is these last three pictures. The lighting sucks in these pictures, but I used a flash light, so I kind of expected that. In this one, I shined the light at it from the front.

7. Side Lighting
Again, the lighting sucks, but at 9 o'clock there's not much you can do. I shined the flash light at it from the side this time, so it's an example of side lighting...right?

8. Artificial Lighting
Technically, all three of these last pictures are examples of artificial lighting, but I can't use the same picture for several types of lighting. I just shined the light at the car from above.

2 comments:

  1. Those are some awesome pictures. You did an amazing job describing the different kinds of lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did SO GOOD in all of your pictures! I love the back lighting one, it's really pretty! I honestly can't think of anything you could improve on! (:

    ReplyDelete